Wednesday, April 2, 2008

my chemistry

It's getting down to the end here and I'm having serious concentration issues. It took me way longer to finish Fun Home than it should have, considering I'm actually fairly interested in the topic. It relates to the project that I'm doing for my Anthropology class (sort of). I'm doing a powerpoint presentation on the Museum of Funeral Customs for my community museums project. It's not that great but I'll deal. The project shouldn't take me all that long to finish. I'm halfway done. It's due tomorrow but I'm pretty sure that since we aren't turning the powerpoint in until we present that I will just have it finished for Friday and I'll be fine. With work and other various shit going on in my life I haven't had the time or the attention span to put a lot of effort into my anthro projects. I really just want to freaking read White Night, since I still haven't finished it. I feel like I am made up of fail. I started working my way through it again this morning when I was on break at work. Hopefully I'll find some more spare time to work on it in the near future, especially because I just bought Small Favors.

In other news, work was awesome today. I was in a fairly good mood despite having to get up at the crack of dawn (or before dawn) on like two hours of sleep. But the usual manager who opens wasn't there so there was no one breathing down my neck about shelving and I actually had time to eliminate all the display shelves in my section and start alpha-ing the rest of the section. My section consists of Fiction/Lit, Af-Am Fiction, Poetry, Lit Crit, Drama, Erotic, GLBT Lit, and Western Philosophy. It is probably the biggest section in the store but the easiest to shelve in and to deal with. That makes my life a little easier and I got a lot of work done today. That just makes me dread going into work Thursday though because I'm going to have to go back to doing what I usually do, which means neglecting my section and not giving it the love it deserves. The poetry section is so out of order it is ridiculous but the normal opening manager hates giving us time to alpha. That's probably the last thing on his list of priorities which drives me nuts because the sections looks like shit all the time.

Anyway, tangent. I started talking about work to talk about Interpol and Jimmy Eat World. We get promotional cds at work and in the morning before we open we can put in whatever we want. Today was my day to pick so I put in Interpol, Jimmy Eat World, some band I'd never heard of called Sona? Lona? I dont remember, and Flogging Molly. I'm kind in love with the first two albums now and I put my name on them. Hopefully I'll get them when the time comes for those to be given away.

I was going to read Fun Home on my break but the display shelf of White Night was closer to the back room than Fun Home was and so I picked that up on the way back there instead. I did finish reading it though and I did like it. Out of everything we've read it was at least more enjoyable than the last two. I still think that Blankets is probably visually my favorite and V for Vendetta is still my favorite story. I don't know. I'm just sad that I missed getting to read Sven on Monday when I was sick.

No comments: