Monday, February 4, 2008

ozymandias

Originally I intended to text in my post from my cell phone just to try something different and to see if I actually had the patience to do it. Admittedly, I have a sidekick so it wouldn't be as difficult as texting it in off of a cell phone without a full keyboard, but it still counts, I think. However, that thought changed when I got to reading Watchmen and got to the part of about Ozymandias. Then all I could think about was posting the poem by Shelley that we were forced to read my junior year of high school in the second semester of my English Lit class. I hated that class, mostly because the teacher I had was kind of nuts. She actually told me once that she couldn't believe she was approving my outline because it was such a piece of shit... no joke. It was a piece of shit, but I was seriously sick that week and I didn't need to hear from here that I sucked at writing. But I digress...

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
- Percy Bysshe Shelley, 1818

I just thought it was kind of interesting to come back and read that poem again after reading the first four chapters of the Watchmen (I had a lazy weekend and I didn't finish the whole book, so no spoilers, please). I mean, it's kind of surreal to think about. Ozymandias, King of Kings, is reduced to stumps of legs left in the sand with nothing of his former glory surrounding him. Is that what it is going to be like for us one day? Just the fading memory of a broken statue crumbling away in the sand? Kind of depressing. Even more depressing? Being Jon Osterman and getting to just chill and watch while all of this happens.

I vaguely remember there being a painting that went along with the poem in the English lit textbook but I can't find it. I googled it and couldn't find anything and since it's 3:30 in the morning I'm going to call it quits on that. I didn't want to post the image that badly anyway.

Also, if you click here it will take you to the IMDB listing for the Watchmen movie that is due out in 2009. Don't go there if you don't want to be spoiled. I think that some things are given away just in the cast listing. You can also catch the occasional Watchmen update post on oh no they didn't, but that's only if you feel like weeding through pages upon pages of pointless celebrity drama to find something.

When I went to oh no they didn't to get the link for my blog I saw this and had to post it:


it made me laugh



Okay, going to bed before I find anything else to post.

No comments: