Monday, February 25, 2008

she draws the costume correct in thick, black and red eyeliner.

I just finished writing my manifesto. Admittedly, it was more or less done last week when I had the draft done but I went back and expanded on everything and then wrote a semi-conclusion. Rock on. I probably would have gotten it done a lot sooner if I hadn't spent so much time listening to Mindless Self Indulgence and Strata, which really aren't good for this type of writing. I finally had to switch over to something a little calmer so that I could finish it. Since it's printing right now I'm listening to Strata again and obsessing just a little bit over finally having something new to listen to (even if Strata isn't all that new). But anyway, I was talking to my friend who was sending all of the music to me and we were talking about the song that I happen to like the best by them, which is called: Cocaine (We're All Going to Hell). It's my favorite Strata song (and I think it's hers too, though she didn't really specify other than telling me she also really liked it) and she told me that when the song first came out it caused the band to have their music player suspended off of their myspace account because the song is about drug use. I thought that was fairly interesting given the whole free speech thing. Eventually they got their music player back on there and that song is still there, but it took months for an appeal to go through. Craziness. So then I was fishing around on myspace and I was on Eric Victorino's myspace (lead singer of Strata), and he has the world's longest about me section, in which he refers to himself as a domestic terrorist for 'excercising his right to free speech'. Reading all of that and hearing my friend talk about it kind of just made me think a little bit about V for Vendetta and the whole issue of control over the media and information that is being broadcast. Who gets to decide who hears what and blah blah blah.

Anyway, let me just sort of sum up this whole block of text for you:
-Fawna rules for hooking me on Strata
-Strata rules for being Strata
-Eric Victorino rules for being unafraid to have a voice
-Myspace sucks for trying to block Strata's freedom of speech
-Mindless Self Indulgence is not conducive for paper writing

And for your listening pleasure, the song that got them suspended off of myspace:

No comments: